For the Love of Thoroughbred Horse Racing!!!


Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Who Am I ???

                                                                                                      
*I was a Kentucky bred son of a stallion who has sired more than one Breeders’ Cup winner.

*I raced at six different racetracks in my three year racing career, but only in two different states.


*I raced against five other champions in my career, and I defeated four of them.


*I won exactly half of my races, although all of my wins came in only two seasons.


*I raced less, and won less races in each successive year.


*My Hall of Fame trainer is unfortunately no longer with us.


*My losses had a five furlong spread in distance, but my wins only had a 5/16 mile spread between the shortest and the longest.


*In my most important victory, I was not preferred by the bettors and paid more than $20 for the win.


*What‘s in a name?


*Four of my stakes wins came in one state, but both of my grade 1 wins came in another state.


*I was ridden by five different jockeys and three of them are in the Hall of Fame.


You should know by now … Who Am I ???

47 comments:

  1. First name that comes to mind is Ghostzapper, but I doubt that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as a first guess, I'll go with Smart Strike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, I saw him race against Secretariat, but...Linda's Chief is not the correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milwaukee Brew trained by the late and great Bobby Frankel.

    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Rachel, no love for Mass Media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry LDP...Twice a Prince is incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hap will not make you Happy tonight, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just because this is so difficult, Alisios?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must have something to do with a rose and I'm having a hard time searching for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A rose by any other name has no place on tonight's game...just a really bad name will be to blame, when the answer is revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ignored my rose comment so it must be close.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Binary File, uh...no.

    You know the answer to tonight's Who Am I ??? is a champion, right guys?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scratch dianes girl. I thought it was a colt but NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane's Girl is a no.

    Eclipse Award Winner = Champion

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm nervous about this next guess because he was only with his HOF trainer for one race (while his regular one was on suspention), but is it the late great Saint Liam?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is not Saint Liam, Rachel. But I think you are the only one on the right track with the trainer clue...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Last guess of the night, Squirtle Squirt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats Rachel...The 2001 Sprint Champion was obviosly not an easy get. How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good job Rachel!

    Darn that trainer clue! I thought it meant that he was the ONLY trainer of the horse. Ugh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job. I never got to Marquetry as the sire. I was searching Rahy and Gone West. Thankfully, I can go to sleep. Great one Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good call tencentcielo, Joe Garcia trained Squirt as a juvenile, but Bobby Frankel trained him his final two years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Once you said that he was a champion and that I was the only one who was close on the trainer, I went to lovely Wikipedia. Once there I looked for any Frankel trainee who won an Eclipse award. I threw out the fillies which left me with Saint Liam (abeit for one race after Dutrow was suspended with a drug postive), Bertrando, and Squirtle (who ironicly stands in Japan home of Squirtle the Pokemon! (Sorry fan girl moment of a Nintendo video game). After I punched down Bertrando's name I realized he wasn't a KY bred, but a CA bred. That left me with one which was Squirtle (Leroi was going to be my next guess, but he would have been wrong anyway since he is a Brz bred).

    For some reason I was stuck on Bobby as the trainer, maybe because he was the most likely to train a champion from recent HOF trainers who passed away. This was not an easy task, pretty fun. Who was Marquetry other BC winner?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Artax is the other winner, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done Rachel...you are a deserving champion!

    ReplyDelete